Please please please publish 1.19

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:47 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2016 at 2:54 PM
First of all I would like to thank you on your stellar work so far on GMARE. Once completed it will be the greatest asset anyone ever made for Gamemaker.

I've been working on a physics puzzle platformer for some time now and everything was going swimmingly until I decided to take a closer look at what my options for level design are... Since I plan to have 120+ levels this is a pretty serious issue. GM in-built editor is a complete and utter travesty. They didn't even bother to implement some kind of drag selection or even basic copy-paste functionality. It's beyond belief really that this kind of thing even exists in 21st century (and it would raise eyebrows in the 90's certainly, maybe even second half of 80's). Other non-GM specific editors such as Tiled are very finicky to use with GM and are not really adapted to how it operates. Not to mention you have to write custom parsers to get from one format to another. Not a serious practical solution by far - I'd be almost better off writing my own level editor.

So, here we have your GMARE which is simply brilliant in its base concept and the features it got implemented so far. However, some very basic features that are still missing severely limit its use. Here I'm talking about basic rotating and resizing of tiles and particularly objects. This is absolutely crucial in designing collision maps and the app is of very limited use without them. Surely, these are not too difficult to implement considering they use in-built GM variables?

So, please, please, please, do not wait till everything is done for the big 2.0 - just do a 1.19 with those couple of features added. Please. I mean, it would be nice to have map import from GM and export area and multiple UI options, but this basic feature would make the app, as it stands now, 100% more usable. I mean, I can live even without full room options (like physics) and instance stuff (solid etc) because I can do that at instance creation. However I simply cannot do anything if I can't see proper size and rotation of my collision objects. Also layers/groups for object instances would be fantastic as well.

Please?
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2016 at 7:05 PM
Hi, thank you for your interest in GMare. I know it sounds like an easy upgrade to implement scaling for tiles/objects, but if I seem to recall correctly I couldn't get it to work properly with GMare's 1.X graphics code, UI wise. It's pretty much the reason I started 2.0, to re-write that portion of the code. It's been over a year, and I haven't really touched GMare coding wise. However I can take a look and see what can be done.
Apr 24, 2016 at 8:35 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2016 at 8:36 PM
Hey! Thanx for the reply and thank you for the best level editing solution for GM out there. It would be a real pity if you decided to give up on it because it really is a life saver for all of us poor sods unwilling to create custom level editors for our games just because YoYo can't be arsed to implement simple drag-to-select... Really, with some work to give itfull GM room editor functionality + all the sweet stuff like block sprites, select tools, brushes etc, it would be well worth the price of base GMS itself. The savings in development time would be tremendous for almost any project!