Animated Tiles?

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM

A really cool/useful feature to implement would be animated tiles.

Perhaps you can add a separate tab for a list of animated tiles. Then have a way to add frames to that animated tile and keep track of the order and what not. How you would implement it in the GM project I'm not exactly sure what the most efficient way would be. An instance for each of the animated tiles seems like it would be rather obnoxious, but maybe it's not. As for adding the animated tile to the textual values you could make it equal to a#, but that wouldn't be particularly useful if you had an array of integers. So maybe something else would work better. I just think it'd be something really neat to consider.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Very interesting. This could be implemented. Because the values are signed shorts. So maybe using negative values for animated tiles? There could be a way to achieve this. Hmmm very interesting.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Yeah negative values could probably work, but may be a little confusing since you're using -1 for empty space (right?). If you were do to negative values you should probably have the first animated tile start out as something like -1000, because the likely-hood of having 1000+ tiles (or animated tiles for that matter) would be very unlikely. It's probably not safe to assume that though. If you were willing sacrifice a little memory, you could make them floating point numbers with #.01 at the end. Or even just add an extra bit/flag for each tile. There's several possibilities. Haha.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Well since GMare is still an alpha, I could shift the tile ids so that zero is the empty tile id. It wouldn't break too much, and probably would be more logical to do so. Leaving the entire negative values for animated tiles. I would like to avoid floating point / bit flags, only because of the potential size of them. (Although I may be TOO conservative on that notion) I agree with you though, I don't see people using an ass load of animated tiles.